Thursday, May 01, 2008

Meetings, Meetings, Everywhere

Over the past two weeks, I have spent more time in Meetings than I have being Productive in my Real Job. Three hours here, four hours there...

As I told my friend R, "They either think that I am Someone Important or they are prepping me to be their cheerleader." Frankly, I'm not a fan of either option. I'd rather just be able to do my job.

Instead, I find myself sitting at random conference tables in a stuffy room, listening to the faint mumblings of someone in another city. All of these calls, I might add, are run by He Who Loves the Sound of His Own Voice.

If I am not allowed back at my desk soon, things will take a sharp turn for the worst.

Eventually, I will be found at the back of the room, scraping my wrists with a butter knife and doodling on the desk in my own blood. Just to escape the monotony.

Thank God tomorrow is Friday.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Oh, well, if it's a butter knife - no problem.....LOL. Sorry, I do hope that your work life improves soon.

May 01, 2008 10:40 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Do they at least provide good food? And keep the room at a comfortable temperature?

When you start reaching for the steak knife, it might be a good idea to just get up and leave behind He Who Loves the Sound of His Own Voice.

May 01, 2008 11:50 PM  
Blogger Warped Mind of Ron said...

Renn,
I thought you knew how this is supposed to work! Your not supposed to doodle in "Your" blood you should doodle in "Others" blood. You get to live and others will leave you alone in peace after seeing what you are doing.

May 02, 2008 7:18 AM  
Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

My husband's office likes to "meet" things to death, too. At meetings, they often come up with more red tape and paperwork for the employees. Very efficient!

May 02, 2008 7:54 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

Sounds ominous. BUT... it keeps us contractors/vendors in business. We do the real work while the employees meet to discuss whether we're doing it right. Eventually, the employees don't know how the work is done and contractors/vendors conquer the wor-r-r-r-rld. Bwah-ha-ha-ha.

May 02, 2008 9:30 AM  
Blogger Tracy Lynn said...

Dude, I totally plan to steal the entire last paragraph of this post. it is THAT GOOD.

May 02, 2008 11:35 AM  
Blogger Al said...

I understand completely about the meeting thing. In one of our enless status meetings I was heard to say "Yes, it's not completed, because I am sitting in here discussing WHY it's not done. If I wasn't here, it would be getting done. Can I leave now and go do some work?"

May 03, 2008 1:37 PM  
Blogger Pageant Mom said...

Here's your fix:

1) get a mobile phone card for your laptop some how...some way...

2) If you don't have a laptop, get one and go back to step one

3) get a security screen blocker for your laptop monitor

4) dial in, and either surf the web, check your email, whatever, the entire meeting.

HTH

May 03, 2008 6:35 PM  
Blogger AC said...

my sentiments on meetings exactly, just kill me now.

May 03, 2008 9:49 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

I feel your pain, dude. Totally.

May 04, 2008 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home