Deficient, not DEFECTIVE
Just over 24 hours after having blood work completed, I received a call from Dr. Yup-Yup's office. The nurse was pleasant, yet business-like. Initially, I will confess that this caused me great concern.
See, Humira has many potential side effects. While some are mildly annoying (itchy skin) or simply nauseating (literally - violent stomach pains), others are potentially deadly. These "less pleasant" side effects include kidney failure, liver failure...and lymphatic cancer. Since I tend toward long odds in the side effects department, I was quietly concerned that I would win the "Big C" lottery.
Dr. Yup-Yup and his PA, however, seemed somewhat convinced that my thyroid was simply fried. I was, in their words, a textbook case of hypothyroidism. In fact, I had pretty much every symptom. I was ceremoniously dispatched to the lab to have more tests.
Naturally, this would turn out to be the first health issue that they ruled out. My thyroid, it would seem, is functioning quite well. Ditto for my liver, my kidneys, my pancreas, my iron...everything was just fine. Diabetes, protein overload and random infection were also ruled out.
It turns out that, out of anything possible, the culprit was simply Vitamin D deficiency. How deficient, you ask? For the next eight weeks, I, Rennratt, shall be taking a weekly dose of 50K IU of Vitamin D...in addition to DAILY DOSES.
I took my first dose one hour ago. Ya know what? I feel like I could stay up all night. There is, however, one small issue:
My skin itches like CRAZY.
I bet I'm frigging allergic to Vitamin D.
See, Humira has many potential side effects. While some are mildly annoying (itchy skin) or simply nauseating (literally - violent stomach pains), others are potentially deadly. These "less pleasant" side effects include kidney failure, liver failure...and lymphatic cancer. Since I tend toward long odds in the side effects department, I was quietly concerned that I would win the "Big C" lottery.
Dr. Yup-Yup and his PA, however, seemed somewhat convinced that my thyroid was simply fried. I was, in their words, a textbook case of hypothyroidism. In fact, I had pretty much every symptom. I was ceremoniously dispatched to the lab to have more tests.
Naturally, this would turn out to be the first health issue that they ruled out. My thyroid, it would seem, is functioning quite well. Ditto for my liver, my kidneys, my pancreas, my iron...everything was just fine. Diabetes, protein overload and random infection were also ruled out.
It turns out that, out of anything possible, the culprit was simply Vitamin D deficiency. How deficient, you ask? For the next eight weeks, I, Rennratt, shall be taking a weekly dose of 50K IU of Vitamin D...in addition to DAILY DOSES.
I took my first dose one hour ago. Ya know what? I feel like I could stay up all night. There is, however, one small issue:
My skin itches like CRAZY.
I bet I'm frigging allergic to Vitamin D.


10 Comments:
Here's hoping you're not allergic :)
I hope the D will help you feel better.
Feel better soon.
Ugh, deficient and allergic is probably not a good combination. Hope you feel better soon, and I'm very glad you didn't have any of the nasty things you listed that they checked!!
Yikes! I had to take some megadoses for about 6 weeks, but it didn't make me itch. I hope it goes away.
I hope you're not allergic! Hoping the D does the trick and brings your levels up.
Oh no. Hopefully your body gets used to it!
I hear that stuff works better if you snort it. Glad there's at least a partial solution.
M
Well hurrah for a simple fix! Hope you're back ot better than normal really soon.
Like everyone else here...hope your body adjusts to the mega-doses of VD...oops bad choice of letters, VITAMIN D!!! Yeh, that looks better! :)
I'm with tiff! Here's to simple fixes! Bodies are amazing machines, aren't they?
Post a Comment
<< Home