Doobie Doobie Doo...
Pretty much everyone in my office has a nickname. There's Spazz, Rage, Chatty Cathy, Motor Mouth, The Dumplin', Sugar Britches...the list goes on and on. Even I have a nickname within the confines known as Destrukto.
Most of my co-workers call me Renn - or some other random derivation of my name. The Spanish speakers put a nice ring to it and call me Reenie or Reena. Since one of my employees has a similar name, some co-workers call me by my last name to avoid confusion. It doesn't bother me, as I have been called worse. Much worse.
After nearly nine years in the construction business, I thought I had heard it all. Heck, I thought I had been called it all. That is, until a random conversation one day last week...
...When one of my co-workers declared me a Frigging Pothead. Was this information, you wonder, based on my Dead Head van? My devotion to High Times magazine? My undying love for Tommy Chong? No, no and no.
Perhaps, then, it could be attributed to my political leanings? To my PVC bong, fashioned from scrap plumbing back in the warehouse? To my constant humming of "Last Dance with Mary Jane" by Tom Petty? Again, resounding nos all around.
Why, then?
Only Frigging Potheads, apparently, know all of the words to Pink Floyd songs.
I would think the "Oh, look! A BIRD!" conversations would preclude lyric retention, but maybe that's just me.
I'm considering the source on this one, people. The Namer, in this case, only loves Carolina Beach Music...also known as Shag.
The sweetest part? He's only three years older than I am.
I can't help but feel a little sorry for him, and the youth that he was so obviously denied. I can't bear to tell him the truth. The Whole Truth, and Nothing But the Truth...
...That most Pink Floyd music is generally associated with LSD, not Pot.
Pot belongs to the Grateful Dead.
Most of my co-workers call me Renn - or some other random derivation of my name. The Spanish speakers put a nice ring to it and call me Reenie or Reena. Since one of my employees has a similar name, some co-workers call me by my last name to avoid confusion. It doesn't bother me, as I have been called worse. Much worse.
After nearly nine years in the construction business, I thought I had heard it all. Heck, I thought I had been called it all. That is, until a random conversation one day last week...
...When one of my co-workers declared me a Frigging Pothead. Was this information, you wonder, based on my Dead Head van? My devotion to High Times magazine? My undying love for Tommy Chong? No, no and no.
Perhaps, then, it could be attributed to my political leanings? To my PVC bong, fashioned from scrap plumbing back in the warehouse? To my constant humming of "Last Dance with Mary Jane" by Tom Petty? Again, resounding nos all around.
Why, then?
Only Frigging Potheads, apparently, know all of the words to Pink Floyd songs.
I would think the "Oh, look! A BIRD!" conversations would preclude lyric retention, but maybe that's just me.
I'm considering the source on this one, people. The Namer, in this case, only loves Carolina Beach Music...also known as Shag.
The sweetest part? He's only three years older than I am.
I can't help but feel a little sorry for him, and the youth that he was so obviously denied. I can't bear to tell him the truth. The Whole Truth, and Nothing But the Truth...
...That most Pink Floyd music is generally associated with LSD, not Pot.
Pot belongs to the Grateful Dead.
Labels: Destrukto

11 Comments:
It's unfortunate that your co-worker outed you as a reefer fiend. I think your nickname should be buddha-bong-love-monkey or skippy.
I have a friend who has a friend who associated Country Joe and the Fish with pot smokin' hippies......
I learn something new here all the time.....LOL
Dude, I thought everyone knew that potheads love the Dead or Phish. But you have to feel pity for someone for whom the epitome of music is Shag. I mean, REALLY.
You could casually mention that you prefer to be known as "The Tripper" rather than "Friggin' Pothead". Although I'm quite sure you are neither! :-}
I tend to associate those who love Shag as those who have endured some major head trauma.
Seriously.
jc
So much to comment here, but one thing must be said.
Remember when we decided we weren't in the same industry after all?
We (I) may have jumped to conclusions...
I love it when people are all "I'm so smart" but get it wrong anyway. HA!
Very interesting. I'm ashamed to say I know the lyrics too - what happened back then isn't necessarily my life today - but Que Sera Sera!
Acccording to my Mom, Hippies are crackheads.
SHE has it all wrong too.
Beach music? SRSLY? No. That's not ot be allowed. Certainly not in the construction industry, and for SURE not for someone who's not yet 40.
As I recall, Deadheads were were non-potisan in their drug preferences. There was this stuff called Owsley acid, but I forget the rest of the story...
Post a Comment
<< Home