Mental Cheese and other Southern Finery

When I first relocated to North Carolina some years ago, my palate was exposed to cuisine unfamiliar. Within a few months of the relocation, I began working at a bakery/diner that prided itself in a diverse mixture of grease and hog, with a little icing thrown into the mix for good measure.
Now, being a transplant from north central Maine, I was intrigued, nay, horrified, by some of the concoctions that I encountered. First, there was the sausage dog. It's like a hot dog, only bigger - and spicier. Then, there was barbecue, which is basically everything scraped off a hog as it runs by. Everything.
After the scraping is complete, said meat is doused in copious amounts of vinegar and hot sauce. My first encounter with this was a misunderstanding. In Maine, "barbecue" generally includes store bought sauce, chicken, an outdoor grill, and a holiday. Within two bites, I encountered something tough and chewy. I was informed that it was skin. I truly thought that I would die.
Other introductions were not so extreme. For example, I was fascinated with Red Velvet Cake. This cake looks as though it were baked on an alien planet, by one million nuclear suns. It is beyond red. Said cake is slathered 1/2" deep with cream cheese frosting, and each slice contains about 3,000 calories. The resulting sugar rush may throw a diabetic into a full blown coma. [It would be worth it].
Then, alas, there was the Pimento Cheese. I greeted this with a mixture of curiosity and revulsion. It is, basically, a cheese sandwich, right? With a LOT of mayonnaise...and those things that are in green olives. This mixture, however, is generally mixed and mashed to a pulp. The resulting view may remind some of Russian Dressing; I was reminded of cat vomit - or a second-hand breakfast burrito.
I believe it took a few months of serious contemplation before I dove head first into the pimento cheese. My coworkers constantly teased me about my northern roots. Who didn't eat black eyed peas for good luck on New Years? Who said a collard sandwich isn't 'good eatin'? Why wouldn't I eat the Mental Cheese?
I finally cracked. Between gags (related to texture rather than taste), it hit me. This crap wasn't half bad! I won't say that I have developed a full blown addiction to all things southern. But, at the end of the day, you can have your barbecue. I'm eatin' the mental cheese.
Labels: meme

6 Comments:
Okay, if you truly want to be Southern this is what you must eat:
1. Fried Catfish
2. Grits
3. Turnip Greens with Cornbread and Hot Sauce
4. Pulled Pork Sandwiches
5. Okra
That should give you a good start. Enjoy!
Amen, Sherri! Add to that rice & gravy (with some pepper vinegar splashed on it) and you've got yourself a heckuva meal.
You ARE talking thin-fried catfish, huh?
I'm hungry. (But NEVER, EVER hungry enough for the mental cheese.)
Sherri-
You must be talkin' about the TN pulled pork. Here in NC, it is generally chopped or shredded pork. Barbecue is most popular in these parts (gag). I love the rest of your list, though. Okra must be breaded and fried, as I can't stand the look of boiled okra.
Wordnerd - I have never heard of pepper vinegar. Color me intrigued.
I'll just stick with breakfast fare for now. What about: sausage gravy on drop biscuits, country ham (this can vary from perhaps part of my order for a last meal to tasting decidedly like a wet dog) and hominy grits? Grits ARE Southern but regular grits are on menus throughout much of the US nowadays but I've never seen hominy served by anyone but a Southerner... Sherri, okra is a great tell. I don't think there is nary a person without some type of Southern connection that likes okra. Large Louie
I can't do the country ham. I am truly not a fan of salt, and it kills my blood pressure. I love grits with jelly or peppers, though. I sometimes miss living in the north, but would take most southern food any time!
Country ham varies as to its saltiness but usually you must soak it and rinse it to get rid of some salt. For example, sugar cured hams tend to be less salty than some. Large Louie
Post a Comment
<< Home