Thursday, May 24, 2007

Next at Ten...

Dear Local News People:

I realize that Breaking News is important. I understand that it is relevant, and that Something Really Bad Happened on I-40 the other day.

I completely understand that a 23 year old male allegedly robbed a store, stole a car and led State Troopers on a high speed chase on a major highway. I realize that every available precaution was taken by the State Troopers, and that they closed down the highway for the safety of everyone else. I do not question their actions. In fact, I thank them.

I also have no problem with sitting in traffic for extended periods - six hours later - so that said Troopers may complete due diligence and investigate the resulting accident. The law is the law, and full investigations must take place. Not a problem.

However.

I do have a problem with traffic being snarled because of you.

In the future, please consider the following: While "breaking news" is interesting and all, it is perhaps not in your best interest block an entire lane of traffic in a bottle neck during rush hour. Please remember that you are preventing your potential viewers from getting home. Your interest in 'fresh, timely news' held up approximately 2,000 drivers on Tuesday night.

Kindly remove your heads from the nether regions of local rich folks, and listen to the country bumpkins done good. You might learn something.
---------------------------------------------------------
While I have you here, let me address something else:

There seems to be an epidemic, locally, of blond, spazzoid Bobble Headed newscasters. Stop it. You aren't winning any fans in the real world.

I must admit that I was thrilled when one of you hired outside the stereotype - Look! A Male!

But, alas. It seems that he, of the brunette persuasion, fancies himself a Serious Journalist. It is laughable, as he presents news stories as one would bad poetry. This is not a compliment, and creates the urge to render oneself Deaf By Way of Closest Sharp Object.

Please. In the Name of All that is Holy and Good. Put a stop to the madness. ALL of it.

9 Comments:

Blogger Rich | Championable said...

I won't do it again. Sorry.



Wait a minute. What?

May 25, 2007 5:11 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

You don't watch Mark Roberts and Gang, do ya? They've got Pam Saulsby (African-American! Woot!) and ol' what's his name (Older! Male! Southern!) on in the morning.

I do not watch evening news. It's stupid and insultingly vapid.

Please e-mail this letter to all the local subsidiaries. I have a good feeling about it resulting in some measure of improvement in this world.

May 25, 2007 9:06 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

Oh, PLEASE let them hear you! These are the reasons I left broadcasting (well, that and getting fired) fifteen years ago. You know they actually teach cub reporters to write to a third-grade level?

May 25, 2007 9:47 AM  
Blogger Kingfisher said...

Having worked in TV a goodly number of years, I can tell you that almost all journalists/newsies are the biggest blowhard, least talented, most bloated with their self-importance, totally clueless, know-it-all brown-nosing bottom feeders this side of the Andromeda galaxy. And get this: They actually think they are changing the world.In the dozens I've known in the last 26 years, perhaps three didn't deserve a smack in the forhead with a crowbar. It only gets worse every year, and the asshole factor increases exponentially as one goes from local traffic reporter to national network anchor.

/rant

May 25, 2007 2:25 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I haven't watch evening news much since I started blogging. What bothers me are the constant announcements:

We bring you Breaking News from the Breaking News Center. It IS redundant, people!! Your breaking news center is the same place you report sports and weather and regular news. It isn't a special place and we all know it!

May 25, 2007 11:22 PM  
Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

Did they hire Tom McGhee there? Or is he still here? I wouldn't know, cause I don't watch/listen to any of it.

What I have seen, though, is similar to your assessment - tooooo funny!

May 26, 2007 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rich - I should have known that you had something to do with it.

Tiff-I LOVE the morning people. When Nooze was a baby, her crying could only be soothed by Mark Roberts' traffic reports.
Try explaining why you have THAT on tape!

I hate the evening stuff.

Rick & KF: Even FURTHER proof that construction was a wise choice over journalism...

Kenju- I couldn't agree more.

ETW- Lord, I hope not. We have enough treasures around here as it is!

May 26, 2007 10:24 AM  
Blogger utenzi said...

I've stopped watching Headline News for just that reason, Renn. The "talking heads" are so dumb that every time they ad lib something I want to toss a brick at the television. It's less expensive to avoid the news.

May 27, 2007 2:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you want a picture of the gams my dear, you only need to ask :-)

June 01, 2007 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home