Saturday, December 01, 2007

Voices in My Head

Yes, it's true. I have voices in my head. MANY of them, in fact. I'm not talking about the random snark fest that occurs when the Round Table appears, nor the stream of consciousness that constantly rattles in the undercurrent around here. Nope.


See, the voices in my head belong to you. All of you. I am not joking.


Let me try to explain, here. When I read your blog, I hear you talking. Let me guess. You're contacting Mental Health and Welfare right now, aren't you? This girl I know on line can hear me talking when she reads my blog!


Good luck with that one.


Ok, let me try to explain another way. When I begin reading a "new" (new to me) blog, the slate is clean. I hear nothing. As I read and 'get to know' a person, an audible "voice" begins running through my head as I read. It's almost as though you are in the room with me, reading the post to me.


Sometimes, however, I don't hear a voice at all. I see a picture of the person in my head instead. The picture is sometimes a completely 'real' person; the picture is sometimes a cartoon.


Either way, the picture and voice aren't always 'right' with reality. In fact, this is the case more often than not. Don't believe me? Take a gander at the most 'prevalent' voices currently wandering around in my noggin:


First, for example, there's Rich. Up until he posted his first audio blog, I heard Rich Vos when I read Championable. I can't really explain why, unless you throw in 'sometimes angry New Yorker'. In reality, Our Rich has a much gentler voice. He's also much, much better looking.


Then, of course, there's Tracy Lynn. I can see and hear her. Oddly, the voice and picture do not match at all. I see Danae from Non Sequitur; I hear Cheese from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.


Then there's Tiff. I can hear Tiff's actual voice when I read her, since I know her in real life. I don't know if that counts or not, but it's true. If it helps, you could always imagine being read to by a hybrid of Deborah Kerr and Diane Keaton.


Oddly, Shari sounds a lot like Tiff.


When I read Wordnerd, I hear Emma Thompson and Salma Hayek. Together. I know. I can't really explain it.


Trinamick, whom I miss deeply, is definitely Mandy from Grim Adventures. Period.


Eric the Biker is my Shel Silverstein. My angry, cursing, vegetarian Shel Silverstein.


Evil Twins Wife is absolutely Wynona Ryder. Minus the shoplifting, of course.



Rick Leonard has the voice of my favorite college professor...and The Grateful Dead. I'm not sure why.


When I read Belle of the Blog, I hear Kat of LA, Ink. All growed up with sweet babies.


I will leave it at that for now. If you are not on this list, you will be. I'm just listening for your voice.

17 Comments:

Blogger Warped Mind of Ron said...

Could you please make my voice deep and sexy, Pleeeese. Darn, I bet your going to use Big Birds voice from Sesame Street arent you :( Oh well, have a nice weekend anyway. :)

December 01, 2007 7:29 PM  
Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

Aw, I'm flattered. I like Wynona Ryder, even if she did flip out and shoplift. But, I'm more Southern girl than Valley Girl. You can now put that southern twist on it. :-) Glad to help.

December 01, 2007 7:33 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

Dude - you hit Tracy's voice spot on. ;> At the very least, she's got his energy, and ability to talk a mile a minute. "Television tastes funny"....hee!

Diane Keaton, eh? Well lah dee dah! LOVE IT!

Also, the Trinamick thing? Perfect.

December 02, 2007 11:38 AM  
Blogger Juliness said...

What creative things you said! I liked reading your 'take' on everyone and their respective voice. Very accurate impressions too - from those bloggers I know and love.

December 02, 2007 4:22 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

Very likely I do sound like your favorite college professor... professors and broadcasters attend the same "Big Boy Voice" school. And the Dead? Well, that goes without sayin'.

December 02, 2007 4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I sound like a crazy person.

I always think of you as sounding southern but I know you probably don't.

December 02, 2007 8:09 PM  
Blogger Tracy Lynn said...

Tastes like feet. AND I LIKE CEREAL.

December 02, 2007 9:16 PM  
Blogger Al said...

I don't hear voices, but I do see pictures.

December 02, 2007 9:26 PM  
Blogger Not Fainthearted said...

I don't think this is crazy at all. If writing, especially journal or blog writing, is supposed to help a writer find her own voice, then I suppose a reader should be able to hear it.

I do think it's interesting how you are able to describe the sound of the voice.

December 02, 2007 11:42 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

You don't hear me? Well hear this - can we get together soon?

December 02, 2007 11:57 PM  
Blogger Blonde Goddess said...

I don't think you're a nut. I think the whole thing is cooler than shit.

December 03, 2007 10:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am honored!

December 03, 2007 11:36 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

Deborah Kerr, Diane Keaton AND Tiff. That's awesome. Thanks!

I think you would sound like Drew Barrymore...

December 04, 2007 1:42 PM  
Blogger Hyperion said...

What about when you read Helen Keller's blog?

December 04, 2007 7:06 PM  
Blogger Rich | Championable said...

:-)

I got nothing else to say. You rock.

December 05, 2007 10:53 AM  
Blogger utenzi said...

I love Danae from Non Sequitur--she's such a twisted child. I enjoy her singleminded focus on money and how to get her own way no matter what her Dad thinks.

December 06, 2007 3:29 PM  
Blogger Pageant Mom said...

Too funny...

I sound like I'm 12 to people on the other end of a phone conversation.

It sucks trying to get any respect in the corporate world.

Oh well, it's not like I make a particularly good grown up anyway...

December 07, 2007 11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home