Sunday, February 03, 2008

Two Clicks from Crazy - Part II

I was barrelling down I-40 West when I felt IT.

I was shaking. I checked the heater, which was working fine. Then I realized that I wasn't cold.

I was shaking on the inside, and didn't really know why.

My head was woozy, my eyes felt sand-filled.

I must've driven a good twenty miles before it hit me: I had ingested three cups of coffee for breakfast. Period. No toast, no cereal, no Oatmeal Square. Just coffee.

Naturally, the highway traffic immediately hit "pause", and all surrounding cars came to a screeching halt. For no particular reason. No rain, no snow, no sleet. No car accidents. No random body parts strewn aimlessly across the highway.

The clock now read 7:37 am.

I didn't believe it.

After twelve miles of torturous highway crawling, the bottleneck burst. Traffic resumed normal to above speed movement. I finally arrived at my office at 8:14 am.

I threw my shoulder duffel onto my desk and made a beeline for the Facilities.

In spite of walking quietly, many co-workers (Hack Boy, Fart Man, Sugar Britches and The Whiner) all realized that I was IN. They promptly began shoving paperwork, blue prints, spreadsheets and service orders my way.

I marched through the crowd, hands heavenward. I slammed in to the ladies room, nearly hitting Giggling Manic Woman square in the face. She squeeked out a nervous giggle and ran out around me. I shrugged and ran into the nearest stall.

I was soon at my desk, processing random crap. Truth be told, I am a magnet for random deritus that floats through the office on a daily basis: I am The Fixer.

The Fixing, on ocassion, entails telling people to absolutely get over themselves.

This honesty is generally met with varying degress of anger, and absolute degrees of contempt.

It was obvious that I was In No Mood to deal with attitude. It didn't matter; four minutes into processing He showed up. He of such a foul nature that most people simply call him The Ba----d. I call him Curse, as that is what he makes me want to do most often.

I digress.

Again, four minutes into my paperwork, he appeared. He snarled, swore, and slammed a stack of paper onto my desk. "Do yew call this paperwork?!", he screamed and snarled. "Jest whut the *_@& kind of information is this?!"

I calmly reached over, grabbed the stack, and tore it to shreds.

"Oh, I wouldn't call it paperwork," I answered. "I'd call it a pile of shredded crap you left on my desk. If you don't reach to pick it up now, it's sure to get worse."

He swore again, snatched the remains, and stormed off. There were rumblings of calling the Big Boss to tell on me. Yeah. Like that's never happened before...

I inhaled, exhaled, and re-thought my day. I sent two of my three immediate employees to the Conference Room for a Meeting. (In my department, "Meeting" equals "Nap".) In the mean time, I located out of date files and threw a stack away. Then I colored floor plans for thirty minutes. With crayons.

My day took a sharp turn UP during lunch, as I escaped and ranted to Tiff. Mid rant, she calmly asked why I continued to work at Destrukto. It was chaotic, maddening, stressful. I stopped, thought, and answered honestly.

"Because I would be bored to tears if I worked anywhere else."

If that isn't crazy, I'm not sure what is.

12 Comments:

Blogger Juliness said...

How totally excellent that you have a friend (lovely Tiff) who has the ability to remind you of what you most want/need. And how cool that you just ripped paper in response to whining. Sweet.

PS Thanks for the tea recommends for Phil - I had decaf chai in my cupboard and am making him some right now!

February 03, 2008 9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are completely my hero now.

I long for the day when I can just reach over and shred the noise that gets dropped on my desk.

Maybe tomorrow?

February 03, 2008 10:13 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I understand, it's sort of a love/hate relationship. I have that here.....LOL


"...The Fixing, on occasion, entails telling people to absolutely get over themselves..."

I have to tell mr.kenju that on a daily basis. I really do.

February 03, 2008 11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the ripping of paper. That is good! Too bad you didn't have some fancy stemware to throw into the wall three feet from his head.

Maybe you should start keeping fancy stemware at your desk.

February 04, 2008 12:10 AM  
Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

Too funny! You would atrophy if you lived my life.

February 04, 2008 11:11 AM  
Blogger Blonde Goddess said...

I believe that's the Maineiac coming out in you...I can't stand to not be crazy busy all the time.

I understand your madness for I suffer from it as well...

February 04, 2008 1:45 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

You did not TELL me about the paper ripping! I would have caused many people in our vicinty to up and leave with what I'm sure would have been the resultant guffaw.

And yeah, you're a little crazy. It's what keeps you sane.

February 04, 2008 2:32 PM  
Blogger Rich | Championable said...

Now I'm STILL tense.

February 04, 2008 6:19 PM  
Blogger AC said...

I LOVE the paper shredding. Love it. How I wish I could have done a similar where I worked before for years and years and years.

February 04, 2008 8:38 PM  
Blogger Tracy Lynn said...

Why don't you have spoons again?

February 04, 2008 9:03 PM  
Blogger themom said...

I love spontaneous reactions - and ripping the papers was superb! You go girl!

February 05, 2008 6:03 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

I SERIOUSLY need to start an anonymous blog. Asshats Anonymous. 'Cept they won't be anonymous.

February 05, 2008 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home