Saturday, August 02, 2008

A Few Answers

Comments and questions in response to my last post had a common theme. The gist seemed to be as follows:

-Did you MEAN to lose weight?

-Are you okay?

-How are you doing it?

-But you looked FINE!

First of all, thank you ALL. You are very sweet.

The truth is, according to the AMA, Calipers and probably the rest of the Free World, my start weight had me firmly planted in the category of OBESE. I'm not lying. As I am currently catapulting myself headfirst toward forty, I decided that it was time for things to change.

It all began back in January, when I met with Dr. Yup-Yup. I noted my disgust with my overall health, weight, and exhaustion. I noted how sick I was of fad diets and random promises that I could melt away the fat at the blink of an eye. I explained my desire to just be healthy for once.

He immediately referred me to a Physical Therapist, and I will forever be thankful. It has, without a doubt, changed my life. For the better, I might add.

I have, since birth, been the Fat Kid. While I may not have rolled to the bus stop, I always struggled with being Bigger than everyone else. Weight wise, anyway.

I was a solid 120 at the age of 12.

The scale has been tipping more to the right ever since then. It was Time for Things to Change. I accepted that the Road Ahead would be hard. I noted that I would falter in my steps. Then I told two of my co-workers.

They serve as my in-office inspiration, encouragement and psychiatrists. I return the favor to both of them. So far, so good.

So yes, I meant to lose the weight. I am using a combination of Weight Watchers and exercise. It's a slow process, but it is worth it.

I have lost 22.5 pounds since March, when this all began. Medical situation notwithstanding, I feel better now than I have for years. It has been worth every minute.

According to the AMA/whatever, I have anywhere from 25-50 pounds left to lose. I am personally okay with 15-20 pounds. I am finally open to the idea that, ideally, not everyone is meant to weigh 125 pounds.

The biggest part of the struggle? Wearing clothes that now fit me. I see the numbers on the scale tipping to the left, but *I* don't really see it in the mirror. That will be the longest battle, I think.

Well worth it in the end, though. That is a fact.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

Yay for you! (but you really *don't* look heavy in the pics I've seen of you...So wear those new clothes with pride and WORK IT, GIRL!)

August 02, 2008 9:12 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Seeing you in person, I would never have classified you as too heavy, but perhaps you camouflaged it well...LOL

Good for you, though. I doubt I would have the stick-to-itiveness to do that.

I have nearly always worn clothes that are too large for me (I crave comfort) but you quit looking in the mirror and go with what feels right!

August 02, 2008 9:38 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

I will agree with ET up there, you never appeared large.

Like you, according to "them" I'm obese...though I wear a size 12 loosely and a size 10 tightly. but based on my height vs weight...well, you know the story.

And, again, like you - WW always works best for me. As a lifetime member, one thing that I can tell you is that it is where YOU feel comfortable...not what the "ideal" numbers are. I once weighed 120...at 5'2"...and I looked like a big head and boobs on sticks. Seriously. I didn't feel comfortable with my body...felt like it was not right. Sure, it LOOKED good, but not to me. My current "goal" with WW is up 10 lbs from when I became a lifer (before kids, c-sections and hysterectomies...before thyroid disease). It's more reasonable to expect. And I've pushed over 40...so I'll be happy with any result.

I'm now down 11 lbs....only 20 more to go!

August 02, 2008 9:55 AM  
Blogger Tracy Lynn said...

If I were any prouder of you, my head would explode.

August 02, 2008 11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you!! You look awesome in your clothes that fit and you should wear them without fear! look around....It could DEFINITELY be worse!

love you! Ked (I forgot my stupid password so I am back to posting as anonymous!!)

August 02, 2008 2:17 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Well then -- yippee for you :) -- I am also doing WW but with much less success -- I suppose it would help if I didn't cheat so much :)

August 02, 2008 7:07 PM  
Blogger Warped Mind of Ron said...

Way to go on achieving some of your goals... I'm still waiting on the pill that will make me lose weight in my sleep.

August 02, 2008 9:56 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I ALMOST missed your birthday! I'm sorry; I hope you're having a happy one!!

August 03, 2008 5:44 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

Yay you!

You look fabulous, but the looking isn't as important as the FEELING. Well done.

And BIRTHDAY? If so (and forgive me for not remembering), hope it was wonderful.

August 04, 2008 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you... Anything that makes you feel better about yourself is what you should do!

August 04, 2008 12:06 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Congratulations! It's such a hard, and totally personal, struggle, isn't it? The hardest part for was/is when John buys lots of junk food, and then it sits there, taunting me to eat it. But I had to come to terms with the fact that 5 minutes of potato chip heaven would not be worth the resulting scale number.

It also helped that I was told by my endocrinologist that I could come off my anti-diabetes medication if I could lose 20lbs. This is a medicine that's made me faintly nauseous for over 4 years. THAT was a huge incentive.

Glad you're fighting and winning. Here's to those of us who working on being okay with how we look and feel in our own skin!! Cheers to you!

August 04, 2008 12:47 PM  
Blogger Juliness said...

Way to go! Good for you too, in determining what is right for YOU and not just reaching for some number that applies to 'the generic masses.'

Only what YOU think matters when you look in the mirror. Really. I try to always remind myself, pay attention to what you eat for the health of it, not to fit in a smaller size.

August 06, 2008 8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As has been said before, Yay you!

So, how 'bout that farmer's market you've been bragging about? I haven't seen you since a long time ago.

August 06, 2008 6:59 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

you rock! yay for you!

August 06, 2008 10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home