Saturday, October 11, 2008

[Untitled]

I do my best not to be one of those parents. I don't like braggarts, and wish to avoid becoming what I detest seeing in others. As a result, I try to only mention my daughter in passing, with random updates to friends and family as time permits.

However, there are some things that I simply can't contain inside. This is one of those things. So, if you are not a fan of the random Nooze Brag - On, please feel free to skip this post. I will understand.

I attended a school function with Nooze the other night. It was a thinly veiled, school-wide, non-Halloween/non-religious, candy-corn themed Open-House- slash-parent-teacher conference. I know. It made me tired just to type that.

Nooze walked me around her classroom, giving me a glimpse of how she spends her days. It was rather interesting, to tell the truth. Surprise, surprise...

I finally met with the teacher, just as we were preparing to leave. Although the teacher is younger than I am (by about ten years), I was still struck with the stomach wobbles as I began to talk to her. I asked her, quietly, how Nooze was doing in school...and what I needed to do as a parent to help her out. Her answer, while not surprising on some levels, still floored me on others.

Her teacher grinned. WIDE. She winked at Nooze, patted her on the head, and addressed me.

"Your Nooze is a wonderful student." She cleared her throat quietly, nodded slightly, and continued, "She is also a wonderful person. She is exceedingly kind to the other students, and does her best to include everyone. She is a champion for those that struggle. She excels in almost everything, and is well ahead of the others in her class. Your daughter is doing very well in school. She loves to read, and I'd like you to continue to encourage that."

As a parent, knowing that your child is considered a wonderful student is an out-of-this-world joyride. When the teacher refers to your child as "a wonderful person" and "exceedingly kind to those that struggle"? Wow. I can't begin to express my joy.

We will be spending our afternoon at a local Barnes and Noble. Nooze doesn't know it yet, but that Fairie Series she's been longing to read? It is totally hers.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

That made me tear up just reading it. I don't even KNOW her, and I'm proud of her (and mom & dad, too)!

October 11, 2008 1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, you know.

Congrats to Nooze - and to mom and dad.

October 11, 2008 1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

screw those people who don't like braggers. They're just jealous cuz their kids aren't as cool.

Nooze has got it goin' on!!

:)

October 11, 2008 3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my girl! I will never get tired of hearing that! Just like her Momma and her Nana if you ask me! Love you!

Zoozer

October 11, 2008 5:49 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Good job, mom! I do wish I would hear a good report about Hannah, at least regarding her reading. She LOVES the Daisy Meadows series of Rainbow Fairies (and Jewel Fairies, and Pet Fairies, etc, etc) and I thought that she would be excited about getting them and reading them, but she just has SO little desire to read. She is required to read 10 minutes a day as schoolwork (at home), but it's a struggle. As much as I love to read, it hurts me to see it. And she tells me 2 things, "I don't like reading because Daddy doesn't read anything but the newspapers", or "I don't like reading because YOU like reading so much." Ouch. Embrace your Nooze....

October 11, 2008 7:16 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I'm with Wordnerd - the apple didn't fall too far from the tree!! I look forward to meeting Nooze sometime. Please tell her Aunt kenju is very proud! and I'm proud of her mom, too.

October 11, 2008 7:43 PM  
Blogger Warped Mind of Ron said...

Way to go Nooze!! By the way feel free to Brag away!

October 11, 2008 7:57 PM  
Blogger Chickie said...

Sweet! Keep up the good work, Ma. :)

October 11, 2008 9:14 PM  
Blogger Tracy Lynn said...

Please let Miss Nooze know that I am seriously proud of her.

October 11, 2008 9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is fantastic! But surprising? Not so much. The apples doesn't fall far from the tree.

October 12, 2008 1:45 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That is *definitely* something to brag about, but as she's your daughter, I can't imagine her being anything but wonderful. Hugs all around!

October 12, 2008 5:18 PM  
Blogger Craver said...

awwwwwwwww!
Nice story and exceedingly nice compliments for Nooze and you.

Good on ya'.

Jc

October 12, 2008 9:52 PM  
Blogger Kingfisher said...

You have raised this wonderful child. Bask in it. Brag away.

But Nooze deserves the real credit. What a great kid. Uncle Kingfisher sending big hugs and wishes for a lifetime of reading enjoyment her way.

October 13, 2008 10:51 AM  
Blogger themom said...

and what a wonderful reward you gave her. As a parent, there is not one blessed thing wrong with being PROUD!! It reflects back on you so well. congratulations.

October 13, 2008 1:10 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

Yay for you!

Can totaly understand that feeling - it's a treat, and to be enjoyed. Well done, Rennfamily!

October 14, 2008 12:34 PM  
Blogger Juliness said...

You are galaxies away from being a braggy mom! I have plenty of experience on this matter so trust me.

I pray Every Single Day that my Ella will someday be called a wonderful person. Big, HUGE congrats to you all - because parenting a healthy, happy child is very much a team effort.

This made my day! Thank you for sharing.

October 14, 2008 2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Color me unsurprised.

And happy!

Hoisting a book in her honor this evening.

October 14, 2008 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home