Saturday, July 14, 2007

Maine-line

After The Longest Day EVER, Nooze and I finally landed in the Metropolis that is Bangor, Maine. At 12:10 am Friday morning. We staggered off the plane, dizzy from turbulence and lack of sleep.

My father and niece stood waiting at the end of the gate, grinning. After a quick run to the baggage claim (down a flight of stairs, across from the front door) and the bathroom (2 steps closer to the door), we were on our way. We stopped at an all night gas station at the edge of Old Town (5 miles) for coffee and a snack. Then we hit the highway.

As soon as we hit I-95 North, I noticed a difference. Maine highways, unlike those of the southeast, are not concrete. They do not bounce and grate every three feet. They do not have little mini reflectors in the passing zone, separating the lanes. I briefly pondered these differences before the reason hit me: snowplows. I had forgotten about those.

I drank my coffee and talked with my dad, while The Nooze and her cousin (age 16) talked and laughed in the back seat. It was a comfortable drive, in spite of the length. It is amazing how quickly an hour can pass when you are with those that you love.

As we approached the Hometown exit, we noticed that the left lane of I-95 was blocked off - with a large CAUTION! sign. It took me a few tries to read it, but it finally caught on: DANGER! (blink) MOOSE CROSSING (blink) NEXT 28 MILES.

Oh, yeah. MOOSE. I'd forgotten about those, too.

There were torrential rains through most of Friday, but we didn't mind. We simply hung out, relaxed - and went grocery shopping.

We visited Acadia National Park today, and had fun trying not to fall into the ocean at Sandy Beach. We also climbed to the top of Cadillac Mountain, and visited Thunder Hole. After a brief stop in Bar Harbor for lunch, we headed home.

Two rolls of film have perished so far, with more to come...

...Tomorrow is the family reunion.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous. Wave hi to East Corinth for me!

July 14, 2007 9:49 PM  
Blogger Sparky said...

I love the landscape in Maine. I remember how distinctly it changed when I drove to Bangor. And the Moose crossing signs freaked me out, but not half as much as the first time I saw a moose crossing the road. CRAZY.

Wishing you continued fun on your vacation/at your reunion.
JC

July 15, 2007 12:20 PM  
Blogger utenzi said...

Large amounts of snow do make a difference, tis true. My biggest adjustment when I moved South was not having wide paved shoulders to bike on. I do miss those.

July 15, 2007 3:37 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I hope you come back south with loads of photos to show us!!

July 15, 2007 10:21 PM  
Blogger Tracy Lynn said...

If you do not blog the reunion, we shall have Words, Rennratt. :-) Meanwhile, Moxie it up, girl, and say HI! to everybody for me.

July 15, 2007 11:31 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

and here it is Monday, with no update.

One wonders who survived the reunion.

July 16, 2007 2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Renn, you are going to totally roll your eyes at me...but do you know Stephen King???

July 16, 2007 3:41 PM  
Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

Sounds like you guys are having a great time so far! Can't wait to hear about the reunion! :-)

July 17, 2007 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home