Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Oh, Look! It's Spring!

Winter, in all of its glory, seems to be over. For now. All told, it lasted approximately one week. Two days hit lower than thirty degrees, and Eastern North Carolina all but screeched to a halt.

Mother Nature apparently took notice. After two short days of FREEZING COLD, temperatures have risen to an average of 60-70 degrees. Oddly, I hate it.

My body re-sets itself periodically. I tend toward bedtimes of 9-10 pm during winter, almost as if going into hibernation myself. I like this time, where I crawl under covers and sleep untold hours in the pitch black of winter.

The early "thaw" of winter has sped up this reset, and my inner clock is off. Off, in fact, by approximately 2.5 hours. I am now waking up at three a.m.

This is not a wink open, note the time, turn and snore kind of wake up. This is a throw your feet off the side of the bed, grab a mug of coffee and start your day! kind of wake up.

It is incredibly frustrating, and I am getting grumpy.

So grumpy, in fact, that when the Annoying Salesperson asked me a (smug, condescending 'trap') question yesterday, I kind of snapped. I turned, snarling, and growled, "I don't know why you bother to ask me these things. I have boobs. People with boobs don't give you answers you like. Why not just skip the exercise and do whatever you please? It's what you'll do anyway. Save some energy man, and do whatever the heck you want." I then spun back around in my chair and continued to work, while Annoying Salesperson gasped and Big Boss snickered.

I don't know what the outcome was, as I left soon after.

Something has GOT to change, and soon.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Warped Mind of Ron said...

Hmmm... lack of sleep and grumpy. That seems familiar for some reason. I wonder who else could be like that... Hope your days get better soon.

January 09, 2008 11:25 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Renn, you've been here long enough to know that it WILL change soon enough.....in fact it is changing as I speak. It will be cooler again next week - but please don't wish for deep cold and snow or ice until my big wedding is over on the 19th!

January 10, 2008 12:28 AM  
Blogger Sparky Duck said...

I hate it just because it brings my allergies back

January 10, 2008 7:50 AM  
Blogger AC said...

"whatever the *HECK* you want"? I might have used another word, as I too well know the 3 am up-and-madly-awake with really, nothing to do but wait. Oh, and worry. I do my best of that between 3 and 5 when I can finally, politely use the coffee grinder.

January 10, 2008 8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry, there's still February to get through... there WILL be cold :)

January 10, 2008 8:49 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Like you, I hate spring thaw in the middle of winter. Comes from being a Maine-iac, I suppose.

and your rant about work? That's the reason I do the job I do...SAHM. Don't have to deal with work. And yeah, the kiddos will be in school full time, but I'm not going to go to work. I'll be here for them instead (and get to play!)

January 10, 2008 11:10 AM  
Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

Renn, I hope something changes for you soon too. I know that "up for the day way too early" feeling. Yuck. Is there any way you could take a quick siesta in your office at lunchtime? Maybe recharge a little?

January 10, 2008 11:58 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

It's coming! The cold weather will be coming your way soon, I bet. We've been in the 60s and 70s this week, too, but we're supposed to get storms tonight followed by temps in the 30s by the weekend and it's supposed to remain cold, at least through next week.

I bet the wicked weather and cold front head to your neck of the woods next.

Hopefully that will get your sleep schedule back on track.

January 10, 2008 7:00 PM  
Blogger Tracy Lynn said...

I have to remember to play the Boob Card occasionally. Screamingly funny, dude.

January 10, 2008 7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am loving my heating bill right now - as it is practically non-existant

January 10, 2008 10:08 PM  
Blogger Craver said...

I just wish you worked with me.
I need that kind of humor.

Jen

January 11, 2008 5:54 AM  
Blogger Juliness said...

I so feel your pain on the "I can't believe I am awake right now" thing. Oh, and the ignorant salesperson deal too. I think those salespeople get stupider the tireder I am.

January 11, 2008 8:10 AM  
Blogger Kingfisher said...

"People with boobs don't give you answers you like."

I think I love you for this.

January 11, 2008 12:19 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

What about man-boobs? Will he listen to epople with THEM?

Also, you're not the only one getting up at 3 a.m. recently. I have been blaming the cats, but perhaps I should blame all of NATURE instead. Hey, a good idea is a good idea! ;)

January 11, 2008 12:31 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

I feel your pain! This crazy wishy-washy weather is driving me up the wall. My poor chickens are so confused and start thinking spring until suddenly winter is back. I must simply stay home because I am too grumpy for a public audience.

January 11, 2008 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home