Saturday, March 14, 2009

Grabbing Some Air...

I didn't expect to be gone this long. Not really. However, I also did not anticipate becoming (almost) full time nurse to a 6'4" semi-catatonic man living on ten different kinds of pain killers. Nor did I anticipate a (personally horrible) reaction to post surgery bandage removal, which included passing out into my kitchen sink while my spouse retched into a trash can.

It's been a long week, y'all.

The bright spot was when Chachi noticed two additional holes in his head. He rubbed his temples and yelled, "DUDE! They FRANKENSTEINED ME!" I, being his ever supportive bride, giggled and snorted in response.

Chachi is on the mend - and so am I. This is mostly due to our friends, who responded (within minutes) to my call for help. They created a Care Calendar and emailed it to people at church. We are receiving dinner 3-4 times per week 'for as long as it's needed'. I have also received offers to help paint Nooze's bedroom, rake the yard, start our garden...it has been WONDERFUL.

There are only three weeks left before the post-op visit, which will hopefully include clearance for Chachi to drive again. Until then, he is likely housebound, semi-stoned - and stuck watching daytime television. This is more torture than you could imagine.

10 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad the surgery itself has passed, and that you've got such wonderful friends to help out like that! Good luck with the bandages and medications and daytime TV--none of it sounds fun, but it's good to know you can find some Frankenstein humor in the situation. Take care of your family and yourself, first and foremost, and whatever time you need away from us. We'll patiently wait. Thanks for letting us know that things are going at least somewhat well, though!

March 14, 2009 6:28 PM  
Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

After my c-sections, I had to attend to my own bandage changes. The Evil Twin just can't handle that sort of thing. So, good for you, being a supportive staff. Also, the daytime TV thing? Totally sucks. Harsh!

March 14, 2009 8:14 PM  
Blogger Al said...

At least when he reported he'd been Fankensteined, you didn't start singing "Ah sweet mystery of like at last I've found you"
All Y'all get well soon.

March 15, 2009 11:19 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

So, if I delivered something yummy (or at least edible) to Destrukto, you'd take it home and eat it? 'cuz I can totally do that.

All the best ot you and yours during this period of 'on the mend.'

March 15, 2009 2:45 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Renn, I am so sorry that I am late getting here. I knew about the surgery, but I had no idea it would be that bad for him. Your church family is wonderful, no doubt. I know how terrific neighbors can be when there is an illness of any sort. Here's hoping that it will all get better soon.

March 15, 2009 10:58 PM  
Blogger Tracy Lynn said...

HAHAHAHAH I have been praying for you guys and obviously it worked.

March 16, 2009 1:03 PM  
Blogger Chickie said...

Oh man. I hope good health visits Casa de Rennratt soon!

March 16, 2009 6:23 PM  
Blogger Warped Mind of Ron said...

Hoping that healing has commenced in full swing by now. On a more disgusting note did you take any pictures of the bandage change that was that horrible? I know I can't help it....

March 17, 2009 3:05 PM  
Blogger Blonde Goddess said...

I'm thinking of you and hoping you all make it through this.
When Mr.Man was off work for 6 months I began to think that I might be responsible for his death although he'd survived the surgery.
Illness is hard on everyone, the patient, the nurse and the rest of the family.
I'm happy you have some help.

((HUGS))

March 17, 2009 7:42 PM  
Blogger Sparky said...

holy crow, renn.
I'm close, you need anything not covered by the aforementioned calendar, CALL ME. REALLY.
Nobody at my house is waiting for me to make dinner, and I can drop just about everything and be there in a jiff.

Dang!

jc

March 18, 2009 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home