It's Official...
I'm still allergic to shrimp. I became aware of this allergy some 20 years ago, after eating it for the first time. Within minutes of finishing my meal, I was covered in hives and itched like crazy. It took many doses of Benadryl (which I have a SEPARATE list of issues with), and much calamine lotion to recover.
Since my reaction was considered "mild", I have simply done my best to stay clear of the food. It's not as though shrimp is particularly affordable - at least in this area - and it's not something I'm much a fan of, either. I make sure to inform people that I can't eat it - and offer to bring food if shrimp is on the menu during 'events'.
For whatever reason, some people find it inconceivable that I am ONLY allergic to shrimp. I can eat all manner of fish, scallops, clams - and even lobster if I feel like it. Just not shrimp. I don't know why it's such a big deal, but I have been accused of LYING about the allergy. Why would I lie about something so random - so arbitrary - so ODD? I have been needled with "Oh, one won't hurt you", "Don't be such a baby" - and my PERSONAL favorite: "I put ground up shrimp in that and you didn't react - so you're lying". Who DOES that?! (Sociopaths, that's who!)
I digress.
I have, for the most part, been careful to read ingredients in prepackaged items, from boxed meals to seasonings and sauces. Apparently, I have not been careful enough. I found that out tonight.
I returned home yesterday after about a week (and close to 3,000 miles) of time on the road. I have eaten more fast food, fried food and restaurant fare than I care to count. I walked through the door after work tonight and declared that I was HOME for the night; I didn't care to leave again. Chachi grinned and agreed, grabbing packages from the cupboard and whipping up a quick Pad Thai with Salmon.
I LOVE Pad Thai. LOVE. I have eaten it repeatedly over the years with no side effects whatsoever. Again, that is, until tonight. It seems that Brand X of prepackaged Pad Thai replaced the standard Anchovy Paste with...Shrimp Paste.
The first hive hit within minutes of finishing my meal. Then another. Then another...and my voice got really weird. REALLY weird. Chachi freaked out a little, and asked if we had any Benadryl. Nope. We ended up leaving the house AFTER all - just to buy the Benadryl. Chachi even (calmly) insisted that I go into the store with him...just in case.
I am now in that moderately fuzzy, somewhat angsty state (Benadryl does that to me). My bottom lip is still numb, and the hives have come to a standstill. They aren't gone, but they aren't any worse at the moment. Part of me wants to take a photo and email it to the Unbelievers.
I'd title the photos "Call me Hive-y - or what Shrimp REALLY does to me, you Psycho".
I may need a nap.
Since my reaction was considered "mild", I have simply done my best to stay clear of the food. It's not as though shrimp is particularly affordable - at least in this area - and it's not something I'm much a fan of, either. I make sure to inform people that I can't eat it - and offer to bring food if shrimp is on the menu during 'events'.
For whatever reason, some people find it inconceivable that I am ONLY allergic to shrimp. I can eat all manner of fish, scallops, clams - and even lobster if I feel like it. Just not shrimp. I don't know why it's such a big deal, but I have been accused of LYING about the allergy. Why would I lie about something so random - so arbitrary - so ODD? I have been needled with "Oh, one won't hurt you", "Don't be such a baby" - and my PERSONAL favorite: "I put ground up shrimp in that and you didn't react - so you're lying". Who DOES that?! (Sociopaths, that's who!)
I digress.
I have, for the most part, been careful to read ingredients in prepackaged items, from boxed meals to seasonings and sauces. Apparently, I have not been careful enough. I found that out tonight.
I returned home yesterday after about a week (and close to 3,000 miles) of time on the road. I have eaten more fast food, fried food and restaurant fare than I care to count. I walked through the door after work tonight and declared that I was HOME for the night; I didn't care to leave again. Chachi grinned and agreed, grabbing packages from the cupboard and whipping up a quick Pad Thai with Salmon.
I LOVE Pad Thai. LOVE. I have eaten it repeatedly over the years with no side effects whatsoever. Again, that is, until tonight. It seems that Brand X of prepackaged Pad Thai replaced the standard Anchovy Paste with...Shrimp Paste.
The first hive hit within minutes of finishing my meal. Then another. Then another...and my voice got really weird. REALLY weird. Chachi freaked out a little, and asked if we had any Benadryl. Nope. We ended up leaving the house AFTER all - just to buy the Benadryl. Chachi even (calmly) insisted that I go into the store with him...just in case.
I am now in that moderately fuzzy, somewhat angsty state (Benadryl does that to me). My bottom lip is still numb, and the hives have come to a standstill. They aren't gone, but they aren't any worse at the moment. Part of me wants to take a photo and email it to the Unbelievers.
I'd title the photos "Call me Hive-y - or what Shrimp REALLY does to me, you Psycho".
I may need a nap.

4 Comments:
Hope you are feeling better by now! Oh... and no that I know don't eat that shrimp gumbo care package I sent last week that might cause a reaction too...
That sucks. I LOVE shrimp in any form. BBQ shrimp. shrimp gumbo, shrimp Jambalaya, sauteed shrimp.....
Wait a minute, maybe that was Forrest Gump.
The Ex was allergic to shrimp. You are not alone.
Someone I am close to but don't care for is allergic to shrimp. Sometimes I daydream about rubbing his steering wheel with one.
Post a Comment
<< Home