Sunday, December 16, 2007

Recipes - by request

When it comes to baking, I try to stick with the 'easiest' first, 'yummiest' second. As requested, I am sharing the recipes used over the weekend.

Rose's Sugar Cookies (appeared in Life, etc. section of the News and Observer from Raleigh, NC on 12-12-2007). I tried to simply link it, but was unable to do so.

2 eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks margarine or butter 1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil 1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla 5 1/2 cups flour
2 cups sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Using a mixer, blend eggs, butter vanilla and oil. Add sugar and mix well. In a separate bowl, sift salt, baking soda and cream of tartar into flour. Add dry ingredients into wet and mix until blended.

*Make sure the dough is the proper consistency before you begin forming the cookies. You should not have to fight with it. If it seems too sticky, work some flour in.

The dough will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. To make round cookies, roll the dough into 1 -1/2" balls and press flat with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar, or roll the balls in sugar before pressing them flat, to about 1/4" thick.

To make cut out cookies, gather the dough into a mound. Sprinkle some flour on the dough and roll it out on a floured surface to about 1/4" thick. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters.

Bake flattened balls or cut outs at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.

---If you prefer 'soft' cookies, place a slice or two of bread in the cookie container. The moisture from the bread will keep them soft.---

Add in 1-2 handfuls of your favorite goodies before cutting/rolling out the cookies. I like to throw in a few handfuls of Andes Mints chunks (*creme de menthe flavor) - or white chocolate, macadamia nuts and cashews.

---If you want to take the easier route, simply make the Betty Crocker brand from the bag and add in your favorite things!---

___________________________________________________________

Melt in Your Mouth Fudge - from Carolina magazine, circa 1999

3 (1 oz) squares unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup mashed, unsweetened potatoes (sweet potato)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Melt chocolate and butter in top of double boiler over simmering water. Remove from heat. Stir in potatoes, salt and vanilla, blending well. Add sugar and mix thoroughly. Add nuts. Knead mixture until smooth. Press into a buttered 8 inch square pan. Cool in refrigerator before cutting. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.

***Mixture WILL resemble play dough when pressing into pan. I use a 9 x 13 pan. This is VERY rich.

________________________________________________________

Peanut Butter Fudge - Gram Irish recipe

3 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon corn starch

Bring sugar, milk and corn starch to a boil on stove. Boil until mixture forms a soft ball when placed in cold water.

When soft ball is formed, remove mixture from heat.

Add

1 stick butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
*As much peanut butter as you want. I generally use approximately a cup. (I don't measure).

Mix together while cooling pot in sink of cold water. Pour mixture into greased 8x8 or 9x13 pan - depending on desired thickness of fudge.

***Do not make on a rainy or overcast day, unless you prefer a taffy-like fudge.***


Enjoy!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Thanks for the recipes, Renn. I might make some, if i can get in the mood....LOL

December 17, 2007 1:25 AM  
Blogger Juliness said...

Thank you!! It all sounds wonderful.

December 17, 2007 7:50 AM  
Blogger Blonde Goddess said...

God you're such a tease!
LOL....
I don't have time to bake until Wednesday so I'll have to re-read your recipes and just let my mouth water until then...

December 17, 2007 10:43 AM  
Blogger Al said...

I SSOOO wanted to make melt-in-your-mouth Fudge, but you cautioned to not make it when it is an overcast or rainy day, and that means I have to wait until summer. If Summer falls on a weekend, I will bake.

December 17, 2007 10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you made that fudge recipe yet? does it turn out chewy or "flaky" for lack of a better word. I am flaky person. But you would have never guessed that, would you?

December 18, 2007 7:34 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

Oh. Well then! Temptress....!

The peanutbutter fudge shall be conquered forthwith. Hey, it's got PB in it; it HAS to be good for you, right?

December 18, 2007 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home