Saturday, August 04, 2007

A Rennratt Friday: Birthday Edition

First of all, thanks to Wordnerd and her pals for the birthday wishes. It worked. Eventually.

The day (which was yesterday, by the way) began at 4.30 am. Gotta love insomnia. And a raging, throbbing sinus headache.

The usual morning routine included dog feeding and hooking out, showering, etc. It moved to waking a cranky, disagreeable child who chose this freaking morning to argue and attempt negotiations on EVERYTHING. We left the house approximately 20 minutes later than usual.

This then moved to dropping her off (at her Aunt R's house - not on the side of the road) - and one of the most irritating commutes EVER. I'm not sure why, but I was sorely tempted to pick a fight with an angry biker. For SPORT. I'm betting that he would have backed down yesterday...

I walked into my office at 8.03 am - and was greeted with singing. I barked out an 'oh, bite me' and stomped to my cubicle. After I was plied with much coffee, I was feeling much closer to normal.

The usual morning of fact checking, research, back charges and floor plan reconfigurations (aka 'field measurements' in my office) took place. It was like any other day.

Until my co-worker (technically my assistant) asked if I had plans for lunch. CRAP. I had forgotten to bring my lunch. Can of coke, anyone?!

I needn't have worried; she wanted to take me to a cool little Italian place in the 'village' around the corner. Very sweet. Except that they are too chic to be open for lunch. We opted for a Japanese Steakhouse instead. It was the right choice, as my day took a turn for AWESOME at that point.

I won't bother you with the boring details, but my afternoon consisted of the following:

1. Wearing a lei into a Japanese restaurant.

2. Being sung to in Japanese...and cheered on by everyone in the place!

3. A gift set of my very own chopsticks. In a case!

4. A pink balloon.

5. Three - count 'em - THREE - birthday cakes! (One was rancid! Woot!) yes, it was taken back...

6. A most excellent birthday card, which (according to the girls in my department) featured my true self: A chick with a full face tattoo - wearing a dog collar - and sticking her (pierced) tongue out.

7. A Barnes & Noble gift card - from my department.

8. A homemade page layout for my scrapbook from a very gifted co-worker.

9. Pixie Stix! Lots and lots of Pixie Stix! (Orange tastes like baby aspirin; purple tastes like Benadryl)

We didn't get much work done for the rest of the day.

The fun continued when I got home! My evening included the following:

1. Papa John's pizza (c'mon, I had sushi for lunch!)

2. Leftover (not rancid) cake

3. Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars on DVD from the Nooze. (John Crichton! D'Argo! My loves!)

4. A gift card to Bath & Body Works from my dad. (I'll be stocking up on the scented antibacterial gel, thankyouverymuch).

5. A new wedding band from Chachi (I had to stop wearing my 'original' one due to swelling, etc. It somehow got lost...) This one is slightly larger in size. My hand isn't turning purple, so I'm hopeful that I can keep it on forever.

All in all, not a bad day.

For those who asked, I'm thirty six. And no, I don't care that you know.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Well, God love ya' for not caring if anyone knows your age! You're a woman after my own heart.

That sounds like a great way to celebrate and I'm glad it was able to bring you out of your funk!

Happy Belated Birthday, Renn! Hope to see you soon.

August 04, 2007 9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a lovely birthday. I'm looking forward to mine on Sunday, for reasons that aren't yet clear to me, considering I'm old.

:-)

Here's to a year full of wishes come true!

August 04, 2007 10:06 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

Yay! Happy birthday to you , happy birthday to you, happy birthda-a-a-a-a-y dear Rennratt... happy birthday to you! (All rights reserved. Any duplication, reproduction, distribution or other shenanigans strictly prohibited without express written permission of das woot.)

August 04, 2007 10:44 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

I had to read "hooking out" afew times to understand what you were talking about.

After tha, I was hella jealous I wasn't part of the celebrations. It sure sounds like you had a wonderful day.

Now, when do I get to borrow the Farscape DVDs? D'Argo, rawr!

August 04, 2007 11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad your day ended up great -- you deserve it!!! Hope this is a great year for ya!

August 04, 2007 7:21 PM  
Blogger Craver said...

Sorry I missed the well wishing.. consider yourself wished.
Also, I thought I was the only person who watched Farscape.
I love you more now.

mmm. pizza.
that's all.
happy weekend.

JC

August 04, 2007 8:24 PM  
Blogger Al said...

Very belated happy birthday wishes. I've been a day late and dollar short all week.

Glad your birthday turned out good.

August 05, 2007 12:05 AM  
Blogger Evil Twin's Wife said...

Your afternoon and evening more than made up for the rocky morning start! I'm so happy for you. :-)

August 05, 2007 5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I would have never guessed you to be 36.

August 05, 2007 5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, when you get that many birthday cakes, one of them's bound to be rancid.

Sounds like a super-awesome day tho!

August 06, 2007 8:30 AM  
Blogger fakies said...

Just getting caught up here.

I've never known anyone who got lei'd in a Japanese restaurant.

August 08, 2007 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very late happy belated to you! I agree that orange pixie sticks taste like baby aspirin. I loved baby aspirin once upon a time and then we found out they could make us sicker than our illness. :(

August 24, 2007 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home