Monday, March 27, 2006

I've Got my Eye[s] on You...

[This should partially explain my lack of blogging these days...Ed.]

Two weeks ago, my doctor said something I never expected to hear. "I don't like your eye color". I was flabbergasted. In the eighties, a Color Me Beautiful rep declared them 'French Blue' and told me that they were perfect. What did Dr. Doogie have against blue eyes?

"It's the whites that concern me, Renn", he explained. "Because they aren't. White". This explaination triggered great fear. My heart raced; I began to sweat. What was it? Mesothelioma? Tourrettes? Protein deficiency? Hoof in Mouth disease? A truck stop tuna sandwich? Concern switched to panic; panic to shaking.

"We just need to run a few simple blood tests to rule some things out. We will check you out head to toe. We're going to figure out why your eyes aren't white; why you're always so exhausted".

I raced home to my computer, expecting comfort from my warm friend - Web MD. Why-why-why did I look there? Two hours later, Chachi returned from a meeting to find me in tears.

'What if I have Tuberculosis? What if it's Hep A, B or C? How will we explain HIV to a five year old?'

Chachi, the ever level headed love of my life, spoke calmly. "Renn. Turn off the computer. Go to bed. The main illnesses causing yellowed eyes are jaundice and lowered liver function. BOTH can be reversed. Leave WebMD alone, or I am blocking it."

I should take comfort in the fact that Dr. Doogie hasn't called with the results. I meet with him again next Monday. I really hope that it isn't mesothelioma...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww...hate that you got a scare! I'm sure everything is fine. My doctor did that recently. I told him a symptom I was having and he put his pen down, spun around on his little spinny-stool, and said "WHAT????" Scared the bejesus outta me. And I was fine. Except for the mental images of my funeral that kept passing thru my mind for weeks...
Seriously? Keep us posted!

March 28, 2006 12:37 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

Jaundiced? Well, who isn't these days! What with the world a crazy mess and people baring their stomachs in public and the whole situation in the middle east, why, if you WEREN'T jaundiced I'd worry!

What? Not THAT kind of jaundice?

Oh dear.

Seriously - I hope it all works out simply and effortlessly, and that the scare is a distant memory in the near future.

March 28, 2006 12:46 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

you could also be anemic. explains the scleral hue and tiredness.....

I'm rooting for this.

March 28, 2006 12:50 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Renn, I hope that things are okay with you. What a good man you have there, keeping you on the level...he's right you know!

Let the doc let you know...

March 28, 2006 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was anemic about this time last year. All I had to do was get iron through an IV for about 2 hours.

Keep listening to that man of yours!

March 28, 2006 8:41 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I HATE web md! If I had even a quarter of the illnesses for each symptom I've looked up, I would have been dead many times over. Web MD is like the constant worst case scenario.

March 28, 2006 10:16 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

If you DO, however, have mesothelioma, the Law Offices of James Sokolove is ready to sue everyone on your behalf. According to their 24-hour cable channel infomercial.

Seriously - I'm sure you are just fine, too. Just keep us posted! And French blue IS a lovely hue.

March 29, 2006 10:22 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

The picture really freaks me out....

I always thought french blue and jaundice looked lovely together.

March 29, 2006 4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home