Monday, November 13, 2006

La Verdad


When Chachi is not en casa, life is slightly...altered. Though the washer and dryer still rinse and hum, the dishes washed, television is simply not the same.

When Chachi is away, Univision reigns supreme. I watch talk shows, telenovelas, the NEWS. I am even a fan of Sabado Gigante. In spite of the clowns.

I can't explain the attraction; I haven't spoken the language fluently in over ten years. Yet the rhythm, the flow, the poetry of the language is music to my ears. I sink into my chair and attempt translation, smiling at the cheesy dialogue of the telenovelas. I laugh at the staged anger of the talk shows. I gasp in horror over the terror in the news. I notice the difference in advertising approaches.

I am entranced by this parallel universe, available only through my cable tv.

10 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

I'm guessin' it's in Spanish?

November 13, 2006 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. Univision is a Spanish Cable channel.

I probably should have mentioned that...

November 13, 2006 9:11 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

My mother in law, who spoke not one word of Spanish, used to watch the telenovelas and make up her own stories about what was happening. It was really funny!

November 14, 2006 12:29 AM  
Blogger utenzi said...

I'll pause on Univision once in a while to watch a bit of soccer or when a hot woman is on there but that's about it, Renn.

November 14, 2006 1:40 AM  
Blogger Tracy Lynn said...

I don't even get Univision. And where the heck is Chachi?

November 14, 2006 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny what we find ourselves watching, isn't it? The "background tv" at my house is usually Food Network (unless one of the really weird cooking guys comes on). My hubby, who never spoke Spanish, tunes in to Univision occasionally -- I think he tries to understand it. Any of it beats Nickelodeon, in my opinion...

November 14, 2006 11:18 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

My husband "watches" Sabado Gigante for "the jokes."

Yeah, right, as long as "jokes" come in a 34D.

November 14, 2006 12:04 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

That was something we enjoyed in Germany....we got the local German channels as well as some BBC channels. When we traveled, it was fun to see French TV (though not as enthralling to me, since I was brought up on it, lol). But I have to say, Univision never captured my attention. I am, however, interested in learning Spanish. Shouldn't be hard, since I already do French.....

November 15, 2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger Al said...

I spent a couple of years in Japan. It was a real hoot watching "Bonanza" in Japanese. Hoss speaking Japanese always put a treaw in my brain.

November 15, 2006 2:55 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

I am the complete opposite, if I could remove the channels from my listing altogether, I would -- I have enough spanish speaking people around me who refuse to speak english and I get pretty wound up about it :(

November 16, 2006 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home